21 August 2006

Summer rites

I'm going to try to heed advice and blog from Seattle as well as from the road.

We'll see how that goes.

I've been re-entering life slowly after my last trip. It was a terrific trip from a research standpoint, but for some reason it took a lot out of me and I'm taking a signficant amount of time to recover.

But I'm also enjoying summer. Which, in Seattle, is about as good as it comes.

One day blackberry picking with my friend Will at a park near the water, getting gouged repeatedly by thorns that look like something out of a horror movie, flagging down a passing ice cream truck for a little refreshment. Despite the scratches that still mar my skin, there's nothing quite like cradling a handful of berries and feeling them still warm from the sun against your skin. Then, of course, mashing them to a pulp hours later to make jam.

A few days later over at my colleague Karen's house, climbing her ladder to pluck apples from an early-season tree. Taking a break from the ladder at some point and climbing the tree -- I can't remember the last time I did that. Bags full of apples sitting in the corner of my kitchen, one batch of gingered applesauce down, about three nights of canning left to go.

Long walks, a trip to the locks, and back in the groove of the bike commute to work.

I love summer so much.

2 comments:

SNAKE HUNTERS said...

Hi Beth,

So, you enjoy research!

Well, tap into my two-page History Post. If you find a
single error, I'll buy the
Starbuck's Coffee & Danish.

reb

Comment?

www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com

sarah said...

ahhh, seattle summertime! i need to find me some blackberries in sf. i hope your buddy will is tall. us shorties always get the slim pickens. it's important to have a tallie to nab the choice berries!