11 July 2006

Etiquette question

I just got off a conference call with some folks in India. As we were waiting for the call to start, my colleague Chris and I were doing some morning news surfing, and I was reading about the series of bomb blasts that hit the commuter railway in Mumbai. The call was taking longer to set up than anticipated, and we speculated that, although our conference was scheduled with people in Delhi, no doubt the rash of attacks had slowed the evening commute there as well. Once the call began, we wanted to communicate our awareness and empathy about the attacks. But we looked at each other blankly, not quite sure what the etiquette was, or what kind of social platitude one uses for expressing condolences over terrorist attacks. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

emjaro said...

I was in a conference in Germany in September of 2001. I was late arriving because I was supposed to fly on the 12th. When I arrived, being the only person from the US to not cancel the trip, several people I had never met before greeted me warmly, and said I'm sorry for the loss in your county, it is a tragedy and I'm glad you are here.

Later we would talk politics, implications, and policy, but that intial moment was an aknowledgement and offer of condolences.

Lazy Toe said...

Hey, I know you! But do you know me?

Have fun poking around the Kstan.

Lazy Toe said...

Okay, my last comment sounded creepy. You probably know me as fuego (sp?). Spanish for flame..I think.

Does that sound creepy too?

I have no etiquette. At least when my 20% is showing.